Tuesday, October 6, 2026

C.E. #1.2 AND Student of the Month Story. Assigned 10/6, due 10/6 - CE and MAJOR

On your Google Site, please make a new subpage and title it: Current Events Quiz #1.2. Answer the question below on that page. You are welcome to make multiple text boxes if that is easier, or if you want to work on just one text box, that is great. Whatever is best for you. Please be aware that if you copy and past the questions to your Google Site, it can create some formatting problems. I DO NOT NEED you to include the questions - just the answers.

Here is today's!!

1.  What specific base were American B-1 bombers removed from in England over concerns about retaliatory attacks from Iran?


2. According to the article, why are students in France striking and protesting against the French government?


3. What two mega Hollywood producers will join together to become Skydance?


4. What was written on the sign trashing Taylor Swift at the Chiefs game versus the LV Raiders over the weekend?


5.  How many cases of the measles have been reported this year in the United States, according to the article?



Long Response:

Please read the following story and respond to the questions below. Please answer the question fully and always try to answer WHY. This section is the subjective section and I will penalize you if you write one word or short phrases for answers with an open-ended question. 

Please read the following article and answer the questions below:


A. In a couple of sentences, summarize the story you read.

B. What was the response from leaders of the two cities?

C. What was the response from the Presidential Press Office?

C. What response would you have if you lived in a city that the President seemed to indicate should be attacked by a foreign enemy?

D. What are some of the concerns that citizens should have about these kinds of statements, in your opinion?

E. How do you think these Presidential rallies where the President is trying to drum up support for Republicans running for office should impact people's voting choices?

F. Do you think voters take these kinds of statements seriously? Should they?

REMINDER - A single sentence isn't enough. I expect you to expand upon your writing. If you think you have written enough, you haven't, write more. Be sure to answer WHY you think something.

When you are done with your Current Events Quiz #1.2, you need to finish your Student of the month story and get it turned in.

Here is how to turn in your SotM story via Google doc thru your Google Site:

Make sure you wrote your story in your AISD Google Drive.

PLEASE MAKE SURE I CAN EDIT THE DOCUMENT. I need to be able to leave you notes on your story.

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU SHARE IT PROPERLY SO THAT ANYONE WITH THE LINK CAN EDIT. I need to be able to leave notes on your story. DO NOT EMAIL ME THE LINK, instead when you have those done, make sure the link is a CLICKABLE link on your Google Site on a new subpage called: Student of the Month Story.

Here are some things you should check before you share it:

1. Make sure it is around 400 words. You can be a little under or even a little over, but not by much. I will check this.

2. Do you have 10-12 paragraphs (or more)? You should have at least 10 paragraphs.

3. Did you make it easy to see those paragraphs? Go back and put a space between each paragraph. See my sample below.

4. Did you put direct quotes on their own paragraph? You should have. DO NOT EMBED QUOTES, EVER!!

5. Did you think about inverted pyramid? Is the most important stuff (WHY did your friend win student of the month?) at the top? Are there additional things at the end, that might be interesting to know, but aren't crucial to the story?

6. Did you answer the 5 W's and 1 H?

7. Did you look at the multiple examples of how to format the direct quote properly? Each of them should look just like this:

"Start of the quote goes here, usually 1 sentence," title name said. "The second sentence goes here, if you have one."

Look CAREFULLY at the punctuation marks. Yours should look EXACTLY like mine.

8. Do you have 3 sources? You should have at least 1 quote from each source. Ideally you would have 2 students and 1 adult in each story. For this one, you should have your primary source (your friend in class) and 2 other sources you made up.

9. Here are a few things you probably don't know, but if you have time to fix, you should. 

A. Numbers under 10 are spelled out, numbers over 10 are not.

B. Titles are not capitalized unless they are a proper noun. For example English teacher, the English would be capitalized, but government teacher, the government would not.

C. For dates, we never use the letters th, it would just be March 4.

D. Make sure you check proper nouns. Don't use text-speak. You is you, not u. I is I not i. Use proper English spellings and punctuations. This is still an English-type class.

E. If the google doc puts a colored line under anything on your page, it is telling you that there is a problem. Red lines mean spelling, blue lines generally mean you have broken an English rule. Do not turn in anything with any lines underneath them. Fix those.

F. I should only read the first name and title for any source ONE TIME. Once you introduce them, you should use last names ONLY.

G. High school is two words, and if it is used with the school name, it is a proper noun so it should be capitalized like James Bowie High School.


Here is my sample story: Don't plagiarize my writing!!

Word count = 389, 14 paragraph

       Monday morning the Bowie administration named its October student of the month. The winner was Erica Jones and she was chosen because of her high GPA and outstanding efforts outside of the classroom, according to the committee that picked her.

    "I was so excited to win student of the month," Jones said. "It really meant a lot to me to be singled out for this award, I worked very hard last month in my classes and I volunteered 25 hours for the NHS."


    Jones maintains a 4.60 GPA and is a member of a number of extra curricular clubs at the school.


    "We named Erica the student of the month because not only is she a great student, she gives so much to the community," principal Brad Lancaster said.


    Jones said that one of her favorite classes is Biotech because she is hoping to go to college at John Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland after graduation.


    “My dream since I entered high school was to be a doctor, but I am a little squeamish of blood,” Jones said. “So, the next best thing is to become a researcher where I can impact what kinds of drugs people take, or maybe help create the next biofuels for human use.”


    At the end of last year Jones was nominated and won a leadership role in the National Honors Society.


    "Erica was heads and shoulders above the rest of the people who were nominated," NHS sponsor and English teacher Samantha Smith said. "Her position this year is president of the club."


    In addition to NHS, Jones is also involved in the Art Club, the Magic the Gathering Club and plays ping pong during lunch with the Ping Pong Club.


    "I love to play Magic. I think the logic and deck building is so much fun," Jones said. "Plus when I need a good workout, I go smash around a ping pong ball."


    In addition to her high grades and club involvement, Jones volunteers at her church.


    "I am a pre-school teacher in bible class," Jones said. "I love to work with the little kids. I want to be a teacher in the future."


    Jones has three younger siblings, including her step-brother Ethan King, who is a freshman at Bowie.


    "I was so proud of her," King said. "She is an inspiration."


No comments:

Post a Comment